Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Legend


To the Vietnamese people I have always been synonymous with grace, and beauty. Throughout the many trials and tribulation of Vietnam's history, I remained unchanged in my symbolism and my image captures the hearts of all Vietnamese. What I represents transcends all ages and it reaches the lives of people from all walks of life. To the Vietnamese people, rich or poor, I am still the dress of choice on social occasion and enjoys preference on special occasions as well.

Where am I from? A legend about my family: The Trưng sisters


Even now, no one is certain of the true origin of the áo dài. You know what? Neither do I. I have always wanted to find out about my roots. According to tradition, there is a story about my family long long ago. the Trưng sisters wore two-flapped áo dài on the battlefield as they rode on the backs of elephants, fighting the Chinese invaders. Also, the story goes that Vietnamese women started wearing the áo tứ thân instead of the two-flapped áo dài to show their respect and admiration for the Trưng sisters (In Vietnamese custom, one often avoids having similar accouterments or names as someone one respects). I guess this must be the earliest record about me.

Now, maybe most of you have no idea about the sisters. Here is what I know about them. The Trưng Sisters (c. 12 - AD 43), known in Vietnamese as Hai Bà Trưng (literally "the two Ladies Trưng"), and individually as Trưng Trắc (徵側) and Trưng Nhị (徵貳), were two 1st century Vietnamese women leaders who successfully rebelled against Chinese Han-Dynasty rule for three years, and are regarded as national heroines of Vietnam.


References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_dai

http://www.vietnam-culture.com

No comments:

Post a Comment