Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Why the obessession with the áo dài?

Why the obessession with the áo dài?

It all began when I first watched the movie Ba Mùa (Three Seasons) by Tony Bùi and was moved to tears by the song of Kiên An and the petal shower towards the end of the film. Somehow, the feminine silhouette of the lady in her white áo dài, against the background of the falling red autumn leaves, so pure and contented, remains etched in my mind. Would I look as graceful?

But what do i know about the áo dài? It is the Vietnamese traditional dress, looks a bit like the Chinese Cheongsam but much longer, appears to be more comfortable and is normally worn with a pair of silky pants. Well, thanks to my healthy diet of TV, romance novels and the random independent movies about Vietnam, that's all I could muster about the áo dài.

So armed with little knowledge, I began my journey to find my perfect dress and before I knew it, a full-fledged obsession has taken off.




No comments:

Post a Comment